Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus
Application Guidelines for Joint Usage and Collaborative Research in FY2019
As a center for joint usage and collaborative research involving researchers in the relevant fields certified by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, the purpose of the Tropical Biosphere Research Center is to promote collaborative research together with researchers in Japan and overseas on biospheres in tropical and subtropical zones.
The purposes of the invitation for applications are to promote collaborative research taking advantage of the center’s geographical location on the Ryukyu Islands and to provide opportunities for research meetings using the center’s facilities.
1. Categories for Applications
Applications are invited for the five categories detailed below.
|Ａ-1||Collaborative Research||Collaborative research conducted with faculty members of the Center||Support in the form of travel expenses with an upper limit of 250,000 yen||Form A|
(Overseas research institutes)
|Collaborative research conducted by researchers belonging to overseas research organizations with faculty members of the Center. Researchers not selected shall be eligible for review for category A-1 (Upper limit on travel expenses: 250,000 yen): Those wanting to apply for review should indicate their wishes on the application form.||Support in the form of travel expenses with an upper limit of 400,000 yen|
|Ａ-3||General Research||Research conducted using the center’s facilities.
Although this type of research is not conducted jointly with faculty members of the Center, supporting faculty members will be required.
|Support in the form of travel expenses with an upper limit of 250,000 yen|
|B||Joint Usage and Research Meetings||Research discussion, meetings, etc., conducted with faculty members of the Center. In principle, the period for such activities is limited to 2 days.||Support in the form of travel expenses with an upper limit of 500,000 yen||Form B|
*Support Expenses can cover travel expenses only. Other expenses, e.g. shipment, boat charter, are not applicable.
2. Eligibility for Application
Applicants must be researchers who belong to university corporations, national or private universities or national or public research institutes in Japan or overseas, or researchers who hold equivalent positions (including part-time researchers and doctoral research fellows). If applicants are accompanied by researchers (including graduate students), the use of travel expenses will be accepted only if the applicants concerned take responsibility for the activities of such accompanying researchers at the Center.
Please note that undergraduate students are not eligible for travel expenses.
3. Duration of Joint Usage
The period of joint usage shall commence from April 1, 2019 and end on March 20, 2020.
4. How to apply
(1) Please consult with a faculty member of the Center in the relevant field (see the Center homepage) prior to submitting your application on the prescribed application form. For application category A, continuing collaborative Research may be supported for up to three years. When applying for collaborative research continuing from the previous year, please attach a report on the results of the project concerned in the corresponding space on the format.
(2) Please attach your Word file application as well as a PDF file with your own and your Director’s signatures and submit by email.
(3) Frame size of P. 2–3 of application forms may be changed, but no additional page is allowed. Please use 10.5 point font-size and above.
(4) Email addresses are listed in Section 6 (Where to direct Submissions) below. Please email your application to both the supporting faculty member and the Research Promotion Section.
(5) Please put “2019 Application for Joint Usage and Collaborative Research Meeting” in the subject line of your email.
(6) A confirmation will be sent by email from the Research Promotion Section, University of the Ryukyus upon receipt of your application. If you do not receive confirmation after one week of submitting your application, please be sure to contact us.
5. Application Deadline
Application forms must be submitted via email by 17:00 (GMT +9) on January 18, 2019.
6. Where to direct Submissions
(1) Where to direct emails (to be sent simultaneously to both (a) and (b) below)
(a) To the supporting faculty member (see the list on the Center homepage for email addresses)
(b) To the Research Promotion Section, Joint Usage Facilities Liaison: email@example.com
(2) Mailing Address for Enquiries
Research Promotion Section, Joint Usage Facilities Liaison, General Strategic Planning Division, University of the Ryukyus
1 Senbaru, Nishihara-cho, Nakagami-gun, Okinawa 903-0213 JAPAN
Decisions on selection will be made by the Steering Committee of the Center, and applicants will be notified of the results in writing by the Director of the Center.
8. Submission of Reports, Presentation of Theses, etc.
(1) Researchers whose application for joint usage, collaborative research, general research and joint usage research meetings are accepted should submit a prescribed report (Form C) to the above Joint Usage Facilities Liaison by the end of the fiscal year. Reports should be submitted in the same way as the application by email with an attached Word file as well as a PDF file with the applicant’s signature.
(2) The content of submitted reports will be included in the Annual Report of the Center.
(3) When publishing results of your research, please include a note of acknowledgement (see the example below) mentioning that the results of your research were achieved through joint usage and collaborative research at the Center. Please also submit copies of the publication to the above email or mailing address for applications (Photocopies or electronic data are also acceptable. Please submit 2 copies if on paper).
This study was supported by the Collaborative Research of Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus.
9. Other Matters
(1) Please contact the faculty member in your field regarding equipment available at the Center.
(2) Successful applicants must abide by the university rules and regulations. Please pay special attention to The University of the Ryukyus Policy on the Handling of Tangible Research Materials with regards to the taking out of samples, specimens and other materials from your research. For details, please contact your supporting faculty member.